Pasta al Pomodoro
That flavor of Italian Sausage infuses every bite of this delicious pasta. This dish is easy to make and only takes one pot, making it great for weeknights. A helpful hint to peeling the tomato is to score it with an “X” at the top and bottom. Dip it in boiling water for a few seconds, then place immediately into ice water. This will help the skins peel easily away from the tomato flesh.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
|1||pound||rotini pasta, al dente|
|1/2||cup||onion, medium dice|
|1||pound||Silva Mild Italian Sausage, casings removed|
|1/4||cup||fresh basil, loosely packed, chopped|
|3||cups||tomato, peeled, seeded, medium dice|
|to taste||parmesan cheese|
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions start to turn golden.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute before adding the sausage, breaking it up in the pan as it cooks.
- Once there is no pink left in the sausage, stir in the tomato and pasta. Bring to a simmer and allow it to cook until the tomatoes start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the basil and spinach and allow it to cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with parmesan cheese.